CASTLEVIEW FARM TEA SCONES
8oz white flour 2oz butter or margarine. 1 oz caster sugar. 1 egg.
1/4 teasp salt/ 1 teasp baking powder. Little milk.
1. Sieve flour, salt and basking powder into a bowl. Rub in the Fat and add the caster sugar. Mix well together.
2. Mix to a fairly soft dough with beaten egg and a little milk if necessary.
3. Turn on to a floured board and knead lightly. Flatten to 1/2 ” in thickness. Cut into rounds with a small cutter and brush the top with beaten egg.
4. Bake on a greased tin in a fairly hot oven (218 C: 425 F Reg 6) for about 15 to 20 minutes.
The scones may be served hot or cold.
To serve hot: Split, put a little butter on one side and put together again.
CASTLEVIEW FARM BROWN SODA BREAD
10oz Wholemeal. 2oz Wheat Germ. 1 oz Bran Sesame Seed for top if liked.
6oz Self Raising Flour plus 1/2 to 3/4 Pint Milk.
6oz Plain White Flour plus 1/2 teasp bread soda. 1/2 to 3/4 pint sour milk.
1. Add the wholemeal and wheat germ to the sieved white flour. Salt and bread soda if used. Break any lumps in the bread soda and sieve it on to the other ingredients in the bowl. Mix well together. 2. Make to a fairly soft dough with milk. 3. Turn on to a floured board and knead lightly until the side next the board is smooth. 4. Turn the smooth side up and flatten the dough to approximately 2″. Cut a cross on the top. Brush with egg white and place some sesame seed on top. 5. Place on a greased tin and bake in a fairly hot oven. (218 C; 425 F; Reg 6) until it has a hollow sound when tapped underneath, About 45 minutes.